As summer arrives and we head to the beach to enjoy the warmer weather, remember that it’s not just about looking great in a new swimsuit. It’s important to stay hydrated, use sunscreen, and proper footwear! Summer is about feeling great and treating your body with care.
As we get older the battle against obesity becomes more of a steeper climb. Most of us know that we can practically eat a whale when we are 18 and gain no weight gain but at age 60 an olive can make us gain 10 pounds! Getting older, the hormone leptin levels rises and our dopamine in the brain decreases, and metabolism slows down. Exercise and proper diet can help get the brain increased dopamine, and decreased leptin levels down. Obesity is as a result of metabolic aging that involves the brain, and endocrine system. The good news is that there are simple, fun and deeply fulfilling ways to live a healthier life so you can enjoy all that summer has to offer to lose weight.
Here are some helpful tips
- Prioritize one hour of total aerobic exercise a day plus weight bearing.
- Stretch properly and leave time for a warm up and cool down.
- Increase muscle mass is key to the fight against obesity.
- Get plenty of sleep, 7-8 hours per night. A cool room is more conducive to better sleep. Get simple mouth pieces to open airways and breathe.
- Parents know that there is nothing more precious than time spent having fun with their kids, laying ball, swimming, tennis, golf, sailing or just tossing a Frisbee and building a sand castle. Being active and having fun with your kids is what it’s really all about. For the rest of us, social hour with friends and family can be just as important.
- Make an effort to eat less salt, sugar, white flour and junk food and you will start to see a difference in your energy and overall health.
- Fish, fish and more fish, especially with spices like Rosemary and Basil to help inflammation to joints and aging.
- Plain Yogurt with Cinnamon is terrific as a probiotic rich snack.
- Coconut Water is a great way to stay hydrated.
- When choosing foods try to maintain a 10-1 or higher Potassium to Sodium ratio.
- All Berries help improve regularity.
- If you think in terms of a rainbow of colors, add a wide variety of fruits like pomegranates, tangelos, and blackberries to your salad or meal to gain all of the nutrients these foods have to offer.
5 Core Suggestions for a longer life:
- Eating a healthy, colorful diet.
- Don’t smoke.
- Get regular physical activity.
- Moderate alcohol consumption.
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
For more healthy tips feel free to add these books to your book shelf: