Summer is all about casual entertaining and the simple act of taking the party outside creates a more laid-back vibe. Nature provides the decor so focus on the table – it’s always nice to establish a one-color palette, as it creates drama. Be sure to create a beautiful centerpiece with flowers.
To give a table some height, I love to put chilled fennel cut up in a glass trifle bowl with water and ice — it is gorgeous and a refreshing, unexpected summer snack.
I love grilling for the summer but think beyond burgers and hotdogs! One of my favorite summer grilled dishes is a swordfish and watermelon kabob — it’s light, refreshing and hearty!
Disposable plates are a natural in the summer, and thankfully there are so many great plastic disposables today that look like the real deal! Just be sure to mix them with a few great pieces. I love to create a beautiful Italian antipasto on an old vintage board like the Donatella European Wood Serving Board from my Frontgate collection.
Use technology to your advantage when entertaining! When looking for kitchen equipment I look for the latest in tech advancements – my new oven from Jenn-Air is integrated with Alexa, so I can give voice commands to complete tasks like preheating, setting timers or changing temperature. This is so helpful when making a roast. People think roasts are for winter, but they are great for entertaining crowds in summer as long as you don’t have to sit by oven! With this technology I no longer have to monitor the oven – I can just control it from my phone or with my voice. It is great for busy, multi tasking moms!
SUMMER ROAST WITH CILANTRO GODDESS SAUCE AND AVOCADO SALAD
- 1 whole filet of beef (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed and tied
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus more
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped dill
- 3 tbsp cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- zest of one large lemon
- Combine lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, garlic, shallot, in a medium bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, parsley, and dill. Using a fork, whisk in oil. Remove 1/2 cup sauce to a small bowl, season with salt to taste, and reserve rest as sauce. Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the outside dry with a paper towel. Spread marinade on with your hands.
- Put meat in a glass, stainless-steel, or ceramic dish. Toss with remaining marinade. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Remove meat from fridge, and preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove the strings and slice the filet thickly.
Side Avocado Salad
- cups cherry tomatoes halved ,1small red onion sliced,
- ripe avocado diced tbsp chopped cilantro, 1/2 tbsp chopped dill
Place in bowl and drizzle with 2 Tbsp high quality extra virgin olive oil and 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Toss gently to combine. Just before serving, toss with 1 tsp sea salt and ⅛ tsp black pepper.
Serve with green goddess sauce and salad on side